Penn State Fayette, The Eberly Campus: Link to Home Page Penn State Virtual Tours
goto the previous tourPREV    |    NEXTgoto the next tour

New Tour Page

thumbnail view 1 of New Tour Page

University House


The History of the University House

The original farm house of the Wood family, now the University House, was first purchased from the son of Christopher Gist in the 1740s as part of a settlement awarded by King George III for Gist's service as a guide for General Edward Braddock during the French and Indian War. Gist's son Thomas later sold a portion of the plantation to Issac Wood of Philadelphia.

In 1834, the Wood family constructed a 6-room house, which has been renovated and added to over the years to its present 12 rooms. From 1908 to 1938, the house was owned by five different families; in 1938, it was purchased by Harold Garner, a Uniontown dairyman.

Fayette campus was purchased from Harold Garner's son, who lived in the house until his death in 1974. Then it was transferred to Penn State and the Fayette trustees began its restoration.

 

Campus map thumbnail

Campus Executive Officer