Penn State Fayette students honored for excellence at annual banquet
On Friday, April 26, the 47th annual Student Awards Banquet was held at the Uniontown Holiday Inn. Over 225 students, staff, faculty, and guests joined to recognize the achievements made by students at Penn State Fayette, The Eberly Campus over the 2012-13 academic year.
The Eric A. and Josephine S. Walker Award, named in honor of the late Penn State President and Mrs. Eric Walker, was presented to Matt Spaw. The award was established in 1971 to recognize a full-time undergraduate student who possesses outstanding qualities of character, scholarship, leadership and citizenship in programs and services that have positively influenced students and contributed to the campus and its prestige.
The Dennis Hippo Memorial Award, in honor of Dennis Hippo, a member of Penn State Fayette’s first graduating class who was killed in action in Vietnam, is awarded to one male and one female full-time student each year. The recipients must exemplify the attributes of Hippo in the areas of leadership, campus and community involvement, academic persistence, service and altruism. This year’s award recipients were Ryan Hart and Alicia Williams.
The Scholastic Excellence Award recognizes students who compete in a written and oral academic research presentation. This year’s finalists were Kelsey Conn, Troy Hellen, and Ronald Simon. Hellen was the award recipient.
The complete list of student award winners includes:
- Leadership Awards
- Eric A. and Josephine S. Walker Award: Matt Spaw
- Dennis Hippo Memorial Award: Ryan Hart and Alicia Williams
- University Awards
- Freshman President’s Awards: Hang Cheng, Tara Cope, Crystal Fordyce, Carly Gruss, Laura Marinos, Tanner McFarland
- President Sparks Award: George Haggerty
- Evan Pugh Scholar Award: Emily Marchewka
- Academic Awards:
- Administration of Justice Award: Wendy Pennington
- Associates in Business Award: Ellen Jean McCloy
- Bachelors of Science in Business Award: Aaron Sabatula and Lindsay Walt
- English and American Studies Award: Brittany Gallagher
- Human Development & Family Studies Award: Noelle Winkler
- Kinesiology Award: Nathan Kiliany (Fall), Joe Belan (Spring), Rebecca Henckel (Spring)
- Philosophy Award: William Addis
- Physical Therapy Award: Esther Blizman
- Thelma Sandy Award in Nursing: Christopher Ohmer (Fall), Moriah Kromer (Spring), Anna Sparks (Spring)
- Campus Awards
- Scholastic Excellence Award Winner: Troy Hellen
- Port Family Public Service Award: Darrin Hogue
- Joanne Genova Sujansky Memorial Leadership Award: Rachael Franks, Matt Spaw
- Drozd Family Humanitarian Assistance and Community Service Award: Emily Marchewka
- Club of the Year Award: The Lion Players
- David J. Leone Memorial Leadership Award: Matt Spaw