41 local students inducted into Fayette County 4.0 Club
Forty-one students from six local school districts were inducted into the newly formed Fayette County 4.0 Club on Saturday, June 25, at Penn State Fayette, The Eberly Campus. The sophomores, juniors and graduating seniors from Albert Gallatin School District, Brownsville School District, Connellsville School District, Geibel Catholic High School, Laurel Highlands High School and Uniontown High School were offered admittance to this new organization by finishing the 2011 academic year with a cumulative 4.0 or better grade point average.
Jes Hutson, 4.0 Club Planning Committee chair and Penn State Fayette instructor, says, “With all the distractions in our current society and culture, it’s not easy for youngsters to always focus on their studies. These students who excel academically should be recognized for their achievement. They have a bright future ahead if they persist in their endeavors, and we wish them much success.”
Featured speakers at the event included Clara Pascoe, executive director of the Community Foundation of Fayette County, a co-sponsor of the event, who talked about scholarship opportunities available to students through the Foundation, and Joe Price of First Niagara, who recommended four tips to help the students make their way into the future: set priorities, have goals, be self-motivated, and have passion for what they want to do. Price also suggested that as the students grow and become successful, they can give back and become active members of their communities by volunteering.
Students inducted into the Fayette County 4.0 Club include:
- Albert Gallatin School District—Megan Coll, Crystal Dice, Jennifer Dice, Elizabeth Fotta, Courtney Hitchcock, Cullen Hoone, Alexa Martin, Abigail Nickerson, Austin Pegg, Brandon Pegg and Taylor Shipley.
- Brownsville School District— Rachael Fawley, Jennifer Kutek, Brandon Myrga and Angela Pelehac.
- Connellsville School District— Lindsey Boors, Stephanie Burkus, Kelsey Conn, Lindsey Dove, Sierra Emert, Michael Jacobyansky, Mikisa Solomon and Trey Vanek.
- Geibel Catholic High School—Nicholas Oppman.
- Laurel Highlands High School— Gianna Caromano, Emily Densmore, Breese Kasievich, Alyssa May, Elise Monaghan, Marcelle Murray, Alexander Rolaf, Alyssa Springer, George Teslovich, Joseph Yuhas, Alexis Zawelensky and Benjamin Zuchelkowski.
- Uniontown High School—Mia DeFrank, Violet Bleu Kern, Erik Oscar Klatt, Alexandra Rohlf and Natalie Szewczyk.