Home Campus Directory | A-Z Index

Are you a Veteran?
Contact Our Veterans Affairs Outreach Coordinators

Breaking News:

Penn State's Faculty Senate has approved priority registration for honorably discharged student veterans of the United State's Armed Forces, Reserve, and Guard. Registration for Spring 2014 will be the first semester to use this benefit and it must be requested by submitting a completed "Veterans Priority Registration form."

Student VeteransPenn State Fayette is committed to providing veterans with a quality education at an affordable cost. Please contact Veterans Affairs Admissions Counselor Apryl Kadish to learn about admission to Penn State.

In addition, to learn about and to activate your veteran educational benefits, contact the campus veteran certifying official Rick Van Buren.

Did you know?

  • Veterans can receive college credit for educational experiences or training programs completed while in the armed forces.
    American Council on Education (ACE)—Experiences/Training
    ACE assesses non-college educational experiences and training programs and recommends college credit where appropriate. The recommendations are posted on the military transcript (e.g., SMART, AARTS, and CCAF). If you are a veteran or member of the active-duty armed services or reserves, you might be granted college credit for your training and experiences by submitting your ACE-evaluated military transcript to the Undergraduate Admissions Office. Application of these credits is pending on your major and discussions with your academic adviser or department head. For more information about the ACE program, visit www.acenet.edu/higher-education/topics/Pages/College-Credit-for-Military-Service.aspx.
  • Veterans can take a test to receive college credit for various general education courses.
    The College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)
    CLEP offers an opportunity to receive college credit for what you know by achieving qualifying scores on any of the 33 CLEP exams. The program allows people who have gained comprehensive subject knowledge through prior or independent study, on-the-job training or cultural pursuits to demonstrate they have mastered college-level material.
    Depending on the benefits elected by a veteran, some can claim total reimbursement for CLEP exams and exam administration fees under provisions of the Veterans’ Benefits Improvement Act of 2004 (Public Law 108-454) which enhances the education benefits of the Montgomery GI Bill. For more information, visit www.collegeboard.com/clepveterans.

Who Qualifies for Veterans Services?

You may be eligible to receive one or more educational benefits from the United States Veterans Administration if you fall within the following definition:

ROTC StudentsA veteran is a former member of the armed forces of the United States (Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, and Coast Guard) who served on active duty and was discharged under conditions that were other than dishonorable. There is no minimum number of days a student must have served on active duty to be considered a veteran. However, periods of active duty for training, pursuant to an enlistment in the National Guard or reserves, does not qualify a student as a veteran. Former or current members of the National Guard or reserves are not considered to be veterans unless they had prior or subsequent service with an active component of the armed forces.

Those veterans eligible for educational benefits should make an appointment with a counselor as soon as possible to begin their paperwork. Dependents eligible for VA benefits under a parent's file also should arrange an appointment at their earliest convenience.

Types of Benefits (Please click on a Chapter for more information)

  • Chapter 30—Montgomery G.I. Bill—This program is for a veteran who enlisted on or after July 1, 1985 an contributed to the educational fund while on active duty.
    Chapter 31—Vocational Rehabilitation—This program is for a veteran with at least a 20 percent disability rating due to a service-connected injury.
  • Chapter 33—This is a new G.I. Bill for individuals who served on active duty on or after September 11, 2001. Provisions include tuition and fees, basic housing allowance, and a stipend for books and supplies. Veterans eligible for Chapter 30, 1606 or 1607 may elect Chapter 33.
  • Chapter 35—Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance—This program provides education assistance for qualifying spouses and children of veterans who either died while on active duty or have a 100 percent disability rating due to a service-connected injury.
  • Chapter 1606—Montgomery G.I. Bill-Selected Reserve—This program is for reservists who signed at least a six-year contract on or after July 1, 1985, and who have served at least 180 days of active service.
  • Chapter 1607—Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)—This is a new Department of Defense education benefit program designed to provide educational assistance to members of the reserve components called or ordered to active duty in response to a war or national emergency (contingency operation) as declared by the President or Congress. This new program makes certain that reservists who were activated for at least 90 days after September 11, 2001, are either eligible for education benefits or eligible for increased benefits.
  • The Yellow Ribbon Program—Penn State Fayette is pleased to participate in the Veterans Administration's new Yellow Ribbon G.I. Education Enhancement Program, a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Education Assistance Act of 2008. This program allows our campus to partner with the VA to extend a higher benefit to you. Specifically, this program allows institutions of higher learning to enter into an agreement with the VA to fund tuition expenses that exceed the highest public in-state undergraduate tuition rate. Participating institutions can contribute up to 50 percent of those expenses and the VA will match the amount.

    You may be eligible to attend Penn State Fayette at little or no cost to you. For additional information, refer to the G.I. Bill Web site: www.gibill.va.gov

Helpful Links