What is Academic Advising?
"Academic advising is teaching. As an activity, its intention is to maximize student understanding and use of Penn State resources. Frequent and constructive interaction between adviser and advisee is essential to promote the student's educational goal."
~ Recommendations for Academic Advising at Penn State Fayette
What are the responsibilities of advisers and advisees?
To protect the rights and responsibilities of both student and faculty, the adviser neither grants nor denies administrative approval. The student must assume final responsibility for the successful completion of all graduation requirements.
The Adviser’s Role
- To understand University procedures and the academic concerns of students
- To understand the expected standards of achievement and the student’s likelihood of success
- To discuss suitable career objectives as demonstrated by student abilities and interests
- To plan a course of study and advise about courses, adjustments, prerequisites, etc.
- To refer students to other resources when appropriate
- To keep informed and current regarding the specific college and department
The Advisee’s Role
- To acquire information for course scheduling, program planning, and graduation requirements
- To seek academic and career information needed to meet educational goals
- To become knowledgeable about University and college policies, procedures, rules, etc.
- To be prepared with accurate and relevant materials when meeting with the adviser
- To consult with the adviser at least once a semester
What’s new in advising at Penn State?
Penn State eLion is an expert-based, empirically grounded advising and information system delivered via the Internet. It was created to supplement student/adviser relationships and to engage students in interactive inquiry for informed educational planning. Penn State eLion offers students a variety of services, including providing each student with the name of his/her adviser, providing an update on the student's cumulative grade-point average (GPA), assisting students in exploring majors, and giving students the ability to drop and add courses and/or withdraw from the University. In an ongoing effort to provide students with the best possible services and information, options will continue to be added to eLion as needed.
To learn more about eLion, please visit http://www.elion.psu.edu.
To learn more about advising, please visit http://www.psu.edu/advising.
For more information about any aspects of advising, please contact:
Dr. Myrna A. Covington, Coordinator
Division of Undergraduate Studies and Advising Program
Penn State Fayette
- Advising Tools
- Advising Links